What’s the job?
This Director of Engineering will focus on designing, building and evolving our new eCommerce platform as well as building, growing and mentoring a team of cross-disciplinary engineers and analysts.
You will be looked upon to lead and deliver complex technical projects. We’re currently a small technology team which means that you will get to be heavily focused on setting up the framework for our future eCommerce platform, and define the architecture. You will need to contribute to hands-on development while you’ll get to create the POCs to validate architectural decisions and vendor selections.
Over time, the ultimate goal is to transition into more of a leadership role as you will need to build a team around you. As a Director of Engineering, you will also work closely with other leads within the company to assure a successful integration with other systems.
The role will not start with any direct reports, but we fully anticipate hiring 5 Engineers underneath you within the year. We are on an aggressive, but controlled growth path.
- Assist with ecommerce vendor and platform selection
- Develop POCs to validate ecommerce platform and vendor selection
- Define technical architecture of the future platform and implement the initial framework to support that architecture
- Lead day-to-day delivery of various development projects
- Help hire, grow and mentor our engineering team
- Closely collaborate with other discipline leads to drive projects forward
- Help to define DevOps best practices including CI / CD
- Help to roll out Agile methodology and provide process leadership across the company
Who are we?
We have been in business for 15 years. Our ecommerce platform as over 82,000 reviews with a 4.9 rating (out of 5). As far as we know that’s pretty good. Our business is 89 years young, and now run by the third generation of our family. Although much has changed in the commerce space, our basic philosophy has remained the same: providing superb quality and service.
We took the family business online in 1999. Even after all the years, we continue to pride ourselves in expertly sourcing the highest quality and treating our customers like family.
What’s our team like?
We’re driven, collaborative, and entrepreneurial. Energy and passion power our business and we look for people who share in that excitement to help us continue to build something special.
Our promise to our employees and customers:
- Provide a great work environment and treat each other with respect and dignity.
- Embrace diversity as an essential component in the way we do business.
- Apply the highest standards of excellence.
- Develop enthusiastically satisfied customers all of the time.
- Contribute positively to our communities and our environment.
- Recognize that profitability is essential to our future success.
What do we offer?
- A challenging role in a rapidly evolving business
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and 401K Match
- Paid Maternity, Adoption and Paternity leave
- Other evolving office perks like chair massages & team building events
- A casual work environment (jeans and sneakers are the norm)
- 40% employee discount!
What do you need for this role?
- A number of years of relevant experience designing and delivering digital products
- Proven experience building and growing engineering teams
- Deep practical engineering experience in implementing, leading and delivering significant technology projects
- Hands-on experience with eCommerce platforms such as Contentful, ElasticPath or commercetools
- Holistic understanding and hands-on experience with the the latest frontend, backend and DevOps technologies such as React, VueJS, AWS Lambda, Terraform, etc.
- Extensive eCommerce experience
- Strong knowledge and experience in applying agile practices such as SCRUM or Kanban for technical delivery in distributed team environments
- Ability to strategically build, develop and coach a diverse and talented engineering team on an individual and project team level
- Ability to establish a flourishing engineering culture that includes definition of successful standards, processes and tools to increase productivity and delivery quality
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills that allow for successful execution of recruiting, career management and cross-discipline collaboration responsibilities
If you’re a hands on Director of Engineering and this role interest you, email Chris Allaire directly or apply here for immediate consideration.